Artworks - Speedpainting - Man of colours
Thursday, January 5, 2012♥
3:50 PM

Man of Colours, Digital Painting, 29 October 2011, 581x749px

Admittedly, this piece was done in no planning beforehand, all I wanted to do was to perhaps practice the male facial features, however, as it turned out, I began to try out something different from what I usually did. Usually, I would take the base colour of the skin then shade it was a slighter darker shade with little changes to the hue of the colour itself, this time, on beige I boldly used a dark blue/indigo shade to do the shadows, and then proceeded to use milky light green as highlights. Surprisingly the results didn't turn out as weird as one would think it would be. the forms were still defined and it was set apart from my other works as the prescence of different hues and colours on the form made it look more dynamic and interesting. 
Other than the skin, I also considered how I would do the hair, it was difficult and I had to make many corrections at first as I had wanted to achieve an ambiguous effect, such that you could tell that was hair, it was darker than the skin but what colour it was was to be simply undescribable.
Had I been successful at this? I'd say to a certain extent, I ought to have evened out the different types of colours I used on the hair, as it is now, it is perhaps a little too reddish, while the blue and green highlights do contribute to the ambiguouity .

To add on, the sketchiness of the work is meant to be imitating the Impressionistic Art form which had presented itself in being 'incomplete' and undone, I also chose to adopt this as most of the time, I find that my sketches contain more emotion and expression than my complete works that may have been overpolished and in turn looked cold and stoic.

In a way, this work was a turning point for me, as I became much bolder in making use of colours, for examply using purple to shade the shadows and yellow as highlights, exploring the different colour combinations and effects were an insightful experience.

Labels:

1 comments

Comment! (: